top of page
Wall of Honor 1

Patrolman Edward Dippel, Metropolitan PD - EOW 7/19/1863


At the age of 26, Patrolman Edward Dippel, then a 2-year veteran of the Metropolitan Police Department (forerunner to the NYPD) was assigned to the Broadway Squad of the 25th Precinct. 


On July 14, 1863, during the Civil War, New York City was being rocked by Draft Riots on the heels of President Abraham Lincoln’s call for the first National Draft. Officer Dippel was assigned to 28th Street and 10th Avenue (in today’s 10th Precinct), and he responded with several other officers to a report of looters at the home of famed New York Tribune publisher Horace Greeley. While inside the home, members of a New York Infantry Regiment, recently back from the fields of Gettysburg, opened fire on the people inside the home.  Dippel and two other officers were wounded. 


Patrolman Dippel was removed to New York Hospital with a serious leg wound.  Five days later, on July 19, he succumbed to his wounds and died, and was buried several days later in his hometown of Monroe. Officer Dippel left a wife, Mary, and a 3-year old daughter, Henrietta.  Sadly, Mary Dippel died three years later, and was buried next to her husband. Their daughter Henrietta never married and died in 1947 in Newburgh, leaving no surviving family.


On July 18, 2003, members of the Jason Conklin Memorial Lodge 957 corrected a 140-year old error.  Patrolman Edward Dippel’s death had never been recognized as a Line of Duty Death, but on that date, Officer Dippel received his “Inspector’s Funeral

Patrolman James Ivan Broughton, Middletown PD - EOW 11/3/1918


James Ivan Broughton was married on February 11, 1911, and joined the Middletown Police Department on April 23, 1917.  He is the only officer to die in the Line of Duty in the Middletown Police Department.


On Motorcycle Traffic duty on the morning of October 27, 1918, Officer Broughton, then 26 years old, was pursuing a suspect  when he had an accident, falling from his motorcycle and suffering a broken collar bone.  Broughton was sent home to his residence to recuperate.  While at home, the officer developed pneumonia, succumbed to his injuries,  and died on November 3, 1918.


At the time of his death, Officer Broughton and his wife, Glenna, had three children, Clara May, Raymond and Marjorie.  Mrs. Broughton was also pregnant with a fourth child, Ivan. Sons Raymond and Ivan both went on to serve in the Middletown Police Department.


Officer Broughton’s Line of Duty death was nationally recognized in 2004, when his name was enshrined on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall in Washington, DC.

Trooper Carl t. Wilder, NY State Police - EOW 4/27/1928 


On September 7, 1928, at about 1600 hours, while on patrol on the Tuxedo-Greenwood Lake Turnpike, Trooper Carl T. Wilder, then 25 years old, stopped a suspicious vehicle - possibly bootleggers, who were known to be operating in the area.  Trooper Wilder had one of the occupants exit the vehicle and became engaged in an altercation, when another person came up behind Wilder and shot him once in the back just above the hip.  As Trooper Wilder fell, he ripped the necktie off of the person he was struggling with. The Trooper was taken to the Tuxedo Hospital where he never regained consciousness and succumbed to his wounds at 1715 hours.  His killer(s) were never apprehended.


A few years earlier, Wilder had been a member of the USMA’s West Point Band.  After leaving the Army, he served for a short term with the Village of Suffern Police Department. He was appointed to the New York State Police in April 1927 and assigned to Troop K. Trooper Wilder married Inez Allen of Monroe on January 6, 1928.  Inez, a nurse at the Goshen Hospital, died on April 27,1928, after less than four months of marriage. Trooper Wilder's death thus followed his wife's by slightly more than four months. Both are buried in Monroe.


Wilder was one of the first members of the newly formed New York State Police to die in the line of duty, and almost 1,000 State Troopers attended his funeral in Monroe.  The West Point Band also came, out of respect for their former comrade. The funeral procession was led by Trooper Wilder’s riderless horse, Kingston. 

bottom of page